Saturday 14 July 2012

Day 0 - London to Land's End

An early start to pack my pannier, double checking that I'd got everything and then onto the train at West Ealing heading into Paddington.

I was over an hour early to make sure that I picked up my bike reservation from the ticket office but also to make use of the First Class lounge at Paddington. When I booked my ticket two months ago it was only ten pounds more for first so I figured why not? To my chagrin the lounge is closed on Saturdays so I had to sit outside WH Smiths holding onto my bike for the next hour. The train finally left (with my bike in the guard's van) and I settled down for a five hour journey determined to eat and drink more than ten pounds' worth of complimentary coffee and biscuits from the buffet car.

I struck up a conversation with the man in the seat next to me. He was in his sixties and had just come back from South Africa on business. After about 30 minutes the topics of conversation dried up so I put in my headphones to listen to my iPod while he read his book - 50 Shades Darker! I assume he'd already read 50 Shades of Grey. Just goes to show you can't tell a book by its cover, except in this case when it's actually on the cover.

Train arrived in Penzance on time and a short taxi ride later and I'm in my first hotel of the trip in the small village of St. Just. Actually it's a pub with rooms (see photo below) but will suffice. I've wheeled my bike into the room since I didn't fancy leaving it outside all night.


I took a tour of St Just which took about 5 minutes then I bought my first Cornish pastie whilst in Cornwall. Tasted exactly like those ones outside Cornwall.

Now I am drinking a pint of Cornish bitter (Tribute, see photo below) and using the free wifi in the pub opposite the one I'm staying in. For such a tiny village it is well served by pubs. I've counted four since I've been here; I'm surprised everyone isn't legless all the time.


Hopefully an early-ish night tonight and then I hope to get away before 9am tomorrow. It would preferably be sooner but breakfast is served between 8am and 9am.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah!

    I stayed my pre-start night at the Youth Hostel near St Just. I wish you a brilliant start. Rory

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get Tribute in London, I usually drink Korev when i'm down there. Expecting as many pictures of beer as anything else on the trip.

    ReplyDelete