Monday 23 July 2012

Day 9 - Balloch to Fort William

Today would see me ride for 85 miles up the A82, alongside the length of Loch Lomond, across the Glencoe mountains and finally hugging the coast of Loch Linnhe before ending up in the Cruachan hotel in Fort William.
Last night I ended up drinking and chatting with a German couple from Hamburg who were spending the next three weeks driving their motorbikes around Scotland. They were amused and slightly astonished that I should be cycling from one end of the country to the other. To be honest I hadn't thought about the distance I had already covered. A little over a week ago I was setting off from Land's End and now here I was four days from finishing! All through pedal power, the human body is capable of far more than you give it credit for.

Breakfast was at the sensible time of 7am (cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, juice and coffee). I was ready for the off just before 8am. Unfortunately the rain came down and wouldn't let up until I arrived at Fort William so it was a full wet weather gear day.
I started on the 25 miles that would take me alongside Loch Lomond. Even with the rain it was very beautiful. Stopped and took a photo while trying to keep my iPhone dry.


I then began a steady 10 mile ascent up the Glencoe mountains. As I rose higher and higher the wind became stronger, the rain became harder to the point of stinging and the temperature dropped. Not ideal but at least I was wearing layers.

The road levelled out and wound its way through the glen with mountains looming from all sides. I tried to appreciate where I was even whilst soaked and cold. I've noticed that when riding on the bike that there are very few alternatives to get out of a situation other than just to keep on pedalling.

I did manage to take a photo for posterity whilst stopping for lunch (a massive raspberry oatmeal breakfast bar).


After about 20 miles winding my way along the glen the road started to descend. At last I thought! Unfortunately the wind had other ideas and decided to blow directly in my face to the point of having to pedal downhill. Where's the justice in that! I did see a great waterfall on the way down that I stopped and snapped.


Eventually I came to the bottom and started on my final 20 miles to my hotel. All on flat roads I'm pleased to say.

Crossed the Ballachulish bridge (see photo) and followed the road that hugged Loch Linnhe to my hotel where I arrived at 4:30pm.


Tomorrow is another 7am breakfast (twice in a row, amazing!). Then I have a 65 mile ride along the banks of Loch Ness to Inverness (yes, this is shorter than the 67 mile ride that I did on day 6 that I thought was the shortest of the trip. A nice surprise). My decision tomorrow is to choose which bank of Loch Ness to follow, the flatter but busier west or the hilly (a 5 mile killer rise to start with) but quieter east. I'll have to see how my body feels.

More things I've learnt
1 - A good saddle is a good friend
2 - Social media is brilliant on the road.
3 - Sometimes you need to stand up out of the saddle to give the glutes a rest. Unfortunately this looks to the car behind like you've just stood up to blow off.
4 - The countryside sometimes smells like diarrhoea.
5 - It is hard to sign your name at a hotel after 8 hours holding a handlebar.
6 - Experiences stay with you.
7 - An iPhone is all you need to stay in touch, find your way, update a blog, keep you entertained and so much more.
8 - Britain is more varied and beautiful than I ever thought. From the hills of Devon and Cornwall to the historical beauty of Monmouth and Shrewsbury and the stunning scenery of the Lake District not forgetting the untamed wilds of Scotland.
9 - To do this you just need a determination to get on your bike and ride. This sounds easier than the practicalities of actually doing it. Having run two marathons this requires a similar mindset. It's not as physically demanding but mentally it's very similar.
10 - It will feel odd to not get in the saddle the day after this is all over.

Day 9 route:

View Day 9 in a larger map

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Hamburgians on motorbikes? I bet you hoped you'd never see (hear) that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to them about it. They were there. I didn't mention how much those bikes were a pain in the arse!

      Delete
  2. Are 3. and 4. related?

    Great progress as usual ... and the countryside looks fantastic. Not far now (bar the odd massive Scottish hill).

    ReplyDelete