Sunday 15 July 2012

Day 1 - Land's End to Liskeard

Three words can sum up today - hills, hills and hills!

I managed to get away from my hotel at 8:15 (healthy breakfast eschewing the full English and instead going for fruit, cereal and toast) and started my 6 mile detour to get to Land's End. I arrived about half an hour later and cycled around the back to where the signpost is. There was a steady stream of cyclists coming and going. Some in groups, some solo, some supported with cars to carry their stuff, others not. We all chatted about routes, initial destinations and whether to avoid the dreaded A30 or not (me - avoid, others - not, the fools!). One of the other riders was kind enough to take my photo (see below, check out the natty Welsh cycling top!) and then that was it. I was away and starting the first of nine hundred odd miles to John O'Groats!


I headed towards Penzance and then along the cycle path towards St. Michael's Mount (see arty photo below and other close up).


As you can see the weather was overcast with hints of sunshine. This together with a south-westerly wind behind me made perfect conditions for cycling. This isn't that tough I thought. Ten miles down and another seventy to go for the day, if it's like this all day then I don't know why everyone doesn't do this ride. Then came the hills! Big hills, short hills, long sloping hills, snappy steep hills and worst of all long steep hills. There was little respite because as quick as I came down a hill there was another one to go up! Low gears were deployed and I even got out of the saddle several times. Sweat poured and thighs burned but I managed to do them all without walking which I consider a minor victory. Not that the hills care. They just sit there waiting for their next victim.

Then there are the descents. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to speeding downhill, especially with a bike that's out of balance with a full pannier and handlebar bag. But all of this went to the wall after the first screaming downhill run. Thrilling, exhilarating and slightly terrifying all rolled up in one. But what fun and sure to put a smile on the face.

After what felt like ages I started seeing signs for Liskeard, my destination for the night. By this time I was getting tired as for lunch I had eaten a flapjack and blueberry muffin (figuring sweet, calorific things would help out my energy levels) and their effects were starting to wear off. Once the sign said 6 miles I don't think I've ever been happier to see a road sign. Finally rolled into the Premier Inn with help from my GPS map app on the iPhone. They've let me take the bike into the room and, best of all, breakfast is served from 6:30 so I should be able to get an early start. It's the usual Premier Inn type of thing, next to a major road with nothing around except a pub next door that provided the evening meal and breakfast. But I'm not complaining, I had a hot bath, washed my clothes and popped to the pub next door for a pint of Tribute (again) and a meal.

Saw this family of swallows just above the entrance to the pub.


The bad news is that the weather forecast is poor for tomorrow and traditionally there are even more hills than today. Joy.

Day 1 route:

View Day 1 in a larger map

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Great! The corrugations of Cornwall are pretty testing - but also great training for what lies ahead. My recollection is that nothing on my route was as challenging as Cornwall in terms of relentless upping and downing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditionally even more hills? Really?

    Or geographically?

    ReplyDelete