Wednesday 25 July 2012

Day 11 - Inverness to Tongue

The day started as the morning after the night before. With so much time on my hands the previous day that I did not know what to do with I spent it rather unwisely by drinking too much. I did meet some great people and chatted away but before I knew it it was 10:30pm and I'd put away 8 pints. This could get ugly so I went to bed.

The alarm sounded at 5:30am and I made the wise (I thought) decision to lie in for a bit. Eventually woke up again at 6:15 not feeling too bad considering, maybe a bit more tired than usual. Showered and headed downstairs for breakfast (cereal, porridge, yoghurt, toast, juice and coffee). I was on the road by 7:45am.
The road in question was the A82 again but only for a mile where I joined the A9 out of Inverness and said goodbye to the road that had guided me for the last two days.

Considering how I should have been feeling I actually felt ok. An hour or so into this day's 89 miler and it was business as usual.

I headed towards Bonar Bridge with Lairg a further ten miles on as my planned lunch stop. The conditions were the same as yesterday, perfect for cycling.

The A9 is not the best cycling road but there was a cycle path that followed most of it which I took, eventually crossing the Cromarty Bridge before cycling inland and upwards for the next 10 miles. The road began to descend so I free wheeled about 3 miles into Bonar Bridge, crossing the bridge of the same name and stopping to take a photo of the war memorial.



Another 10 miles peddling uphill brought me to Lairg where I stopped for a lunch of 4 oatcakes and a banana (the oatcakes were dry but highly calorific).

Feeling better for a spot of food I began another 15 mile ascent towards the Crask Inn, possibly the most remote pub in Britain. Apparently they keep some great ales but I didn't stop except to take a picture.


By now the road had changed to a single track with regular points that allow for vehicles to pass. Being on a bicycle this didn't present too much of a problem although I did have to pull over to allow the odd transit van and truck to squeeze through.

The scenery had also changed. Gone were the valleys and lochs, instead I was surrounded by flat plains dotted with pine trees. Quite wild. At least the inclines weren't too steep!

Another 20 miles on brought me to my hotel, the Ben Loyal Hotel in Tongue. It sits on the very north coast of Scotland with spectacular views.


Tomorrow is the final push to John O'Groats. 60 miles along the north coast. The first half is quite hilly but it then calms down for an easy ride to destination's end. Except that for me it won't be the end since I need to get to Wick for my overnight stop. If I can't get a taxi or any other form of transport then it will mean another 16 mile cycle! I'll see what happens.

Breakfast is from 7:30am but I'm not in any great rush to get away early. I'm hoping to savour the day regardless of how many more hills there are on the way!

Day 11 route:

View Day 11 in a larger map

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Taxi??? ... 16M is a walk in the park for a LEGOGer!!!

    Well done! Almost done! :-)

    ReplyDelete